The mission church at Kevelaer has a very modern feeling, and was one of the last churches built during the era associated with the monks of Mariannhill. The interior and windows are almost unadorned, except for a contemporary stained-glass image of Christ behind the altar sanctuary. Kevelaer contains a side chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Kevelaer, a major pilgrimage shrine of the Lower Rhine. The chapel displays a replica of the tiny sacred image venerated at Kevelaer since the 17th century. The most distinctive feature at the mission station though, is the angel sculpture adorning the bell tower. It is the only such artwork found among all the Mariannhill mission churches, and serves as the backdrop for a picnic lunch on the first day of the Trappist Trail.
GPS: 29°54’37”S 29°52’00”E
Date Established: 1888